We have put together some of the more commonly asked questions. If you have a question not answered here, please email us and we will get back to you within 24 hours.

  • What type of conversions are there?

    The simplest conversion is to take the area already available in your property and create a new space.

  • How do I know if my property is suitable for conversion?

    The rule of thumb is that you can build on at the rear of your property up to 40sq meters without needing planning.  This should always be checked with your local authority.

  • Do I need planning permission?

    MCA Construction can call to the property to inspect what you are planning to do and we can advise whether planning is required.

  • What does this mean for selling my house?

    In the sales description, simply state that the property has been converted or added too.  The prospective purchasers will recognize the value of the extra space. As you have made structural alterations you can’t sell your house without an architect’s ‘certificate of compliance’. MCA Construction will provide you with an Architects and Structural Engineers Certificate of Compliance on request on completion of the work. This certifies that the work has been carried out in accordance with the new building regulations.

  • Do I need architect’s drawings to get the job done?

    Most professional contractors are happy to work from your drawings, if you have them. In reality however, the vast majority of extensions are carried out without them. Drawings are not necessary for standard extensions/conversions carried out by professional contractors who have the expertise and experience to know exactly what’s required to comply with ‘building regulations’. However, if your house is any way unusual, it would be recommended that you consult an architect or engineer. MCA Construction have both an architect and structural engineer on staff.

  • Extensions/conversions seem to be getting very popular – why?

    Most people don’t really want to move to a bigger house for obvious reasons, yet they need more space. An extension/ conversion will cost less than moving house.

  • How long does it take?

    A basic conversion/extension can be finished in ten to fifteen working days.  A Two storey extension or a New Build will take considerably longer.  A bungalow conversion/renovation can be completed a lot quicker than a two storey property.

  • What about the plumbing and electricity?

    MCA Construction will provide a full electrical and plumbing installation to the highest standard.  Both come accompanied with the relevant certificates.